FOREWORD: ASTHMA Â€“ A CHOICE
This Buteyko book explores:
- why you have asthma and more importantly how to reverse it;
- how to know when you are making progress;
- how to stop wheezing and coughing permanently;
- how to reduce and often eliminate your dependency on reliever and preventer medications;
- how to exercise correctly and eliminate exercise induced asthma.
Changing your diet, removing triggers and physically exercising will help reduce your asthma by about 15%. This Buteyko Buteyko book addresses all of that, plus the remaining 85%. My background to writing this Buteyko book stems from my personal experience of having asthma for well over twenty years. Just like you, I know what it is like to feel constant chest tightness and to be awoken most nights fighting for breath. I know too well, that suffocating feeling when you want to draw more air into your body and no matter how much air you draw in, you still feel suffocated. For most of my life, I had to limit my physical exercise as I was never sure if my lungs were able for it. This was my life and it may be yours.
But I also know what it is like to breathe completely free without the need for asthma medications. I can now experience the highs of being able to run each week without fear of my airways closing. I sleep each night without being awoken struggling for air. My breathing is no longer a struggle and effort; it is effortless and gentle. My overriding goal with this Buteyko book and DVD is to provide you with the tools to do just that.
In 1997, my life changed forever when I discovered the work of the late Russian doctor Konstantin Buteyko who uncovered the link between breathing volume and a number of conditions, including asthma. You might say that you have tried breathing exercises before and they were of no use. Yes, I did too, but this approach is a lot different. This is about learning to correct your breathing volume. This Buteyko book is based on 50 years of research, and on my experience of teaching thousands of asthmatics through the AsthmaCare clinics about how to take control naturally. This approach is simple to understand, and can be incorporated easily into your way of life. It does require commitment, but the same goes for anything worthwhile. It can be taught to children over 4 years of age and all adults with different severities of asthma and COPD.
The expected improvement is 50% less coughing, wheezing and breathlessness within 2 weeks. There is no magic or potions. It is based on normal physiology, makes a lot of sense and uncovers the link between your breathing and your asthma. Furthermore, 6 independent trials in the Western world and the results from hundreds of thousands of asthmatics worldwide have validated the Buteyko Method.
Professor Konstantin Buteyko (1923-2003)
At this point you might ask; if it is so good why is it not better known? There is no straight answer to this. Suffice to say that the treatment of asthma is generally the domain of doctors and the pharmaceutical industry. Patients want a quick fix and doctors prescribe medication which manages symptoms rather than addressing the cause. When asthma medication is prescribed, generally the instruction is â€œtake this for the rest of your life.â€
Another point is that most asthma research in the Western world is conducted by pharmaceutical companies. It is not in the interest of a Pharmaceutical company to research a successful non-drug method like Buteyko.